Walking Holidays in Morocco
Trekking or walking in Morocco offers a rich and colourful experience, allowing a privileged and unhurried contact with a world scarcely changed in a thousand years; friendly peoples and ancient cultures, spectacular scenery and remarkable refreshing activity.
Morocco is a varied country, ranging from high mountains and deep gorges to vast sand seas, yet at the same time the annual snows provide water, so there are cultivated valleys, a blaze of spring blossoms and habitations in the remotest corner. Both in the huge panoramas and in the intimate details, the Atlas ranges offer a world of kaleidoscopic surprises.
The unruffled world of the mountain Berber tribes is remote and only recently open to visitors but this has helped to keep the people unaffected by western influences. Shepherds still lead their flocks on the mountainside, women still gather at the village wells, mule trails still carry walnuts to the weekly souks and mountain kasbahs perch on defensive spurs.
Trekking in Morocco is neither burdensome nor uncomfortable. We provide mules to carry your baggage and all the equipment, so the walks are unencumbered. Professional Berber guides who are proud of their beautiful world, plenty of time and refreshment en-route and comfortable camps each evening with staff to provide the touches that make "roughing it" an enjoyable experience.
All of our treks are booked on an individual bases, meaning you will have your own cook, guide, muleteer etc, and will not be joining a large group.
Walking treks are graded as follows:
- GRADE * = easy
- GRADE ** = medium
- GRADE *** = difficult
- GRADE **** = very difficult
PLEASE NOTE: All trekking times in the following itineraries are approximate, and will depend on your own level fitness.
STANDARD CAMP price includes
- Transfers to / from trek by minibus or Landrover
- English speaking Moroccan guide
- All camping equipment (mess tent, stoles, low table, sleeping tents for 2 (small igloo tent) with mattresses, toilet tent
- All meals from lunch on the first day to lunch on the final day, including 3 litres mineral water and half a bottle of wine per person, per day
- Mules and muleteers for carrying baggage
Not included in the cost
- Sleeping bag - this is an optional extra of £20
- Flights and hotels - not included, but can be booked through Best of Morocco to make a complete tailor-made package.
Summer treks in the Atlas Mountains (May - October)
Probably the finest trekking in the High Atlas Mountains is found in reas including the Toubkal mountains range, the Ait Bougmez Valley, and the Jbel Mgoun area. Mule tracks link picturesque villages and valleys, passes and gorges are followed in treks through this enchanting part of the world. We urge anyone with the faintest spirit of adventure to visit some of the places that only 70 years ago had never been seen by Europeans.
- 3 days trek: Toubkal foothills (TBK3A) Grade *
- 3 days trek: Toubkal foothills (TBK3 - B) Grade **
- 3 days trek: Toubkal Summit (TBK3 - C) Grade ***
- 4 days trek: Toubkal foothills (TBK4 - A) Grade *
- 4 days trek: Toubkal Summit (TBK4 - C) Grade ****
- 4 days trek: Toubkal range (TBK4 - D) Grade ****
- 5 days trek: Toubkal foothills (TBK5) Grade **
- 6 days trek: Toubkal foothills and summit (TBK6) Grade **
- 4 days trek: Jbel Mgoun area (HAC 4) Grade **
- 5 days trek: Jbel Mgoun area (HAC 5) Grade **
- 6 days trek: Jbel Mgoun area (HAC 6) Grade **
Winter treks in the Sahara desert (October - April)
The Jebel Sargho (highest point 2,712 m) is a starkly beautiful region of Sahara broadly lying between the Draa and Dades Valleys. An ideal region for trekking between October and May. It is made up of a jumble of volcanic peaks, deep gorges, abandoned kasbahs, small villages and the occasional black tents of the semi-nomadic Ait Ata tribe.
- 4 days Jebel Sargho trek: Marrakech to Marrakech (SAR4 - A) Grade *
- 5 days Jebel Sargho trek: Marrakech to Marrakech (SAR5 - A) Grade *
- 3 days Jebel Sargho trek: Ouarzazate to Marrakech (SAR3 - B Grade *
- 4 days Jebel Sargho trek: Ouarzazate to Marrakech (SAR4 - B) Grade *
Other walking treks
Other locations in the High Atlas mountains also provide a good base for walking treks, and we can arrange day or overnight treks from
- Kasbah Du Toubkal - start off up in the mountains
- Remote trekking lodge beyond the Kasbah du Toubkal
- Dar Imlil - staring in the valley
- Des Cascades
- Dar Itrane
Free nights, upgrades, hammam & massage and honeymoon special offers.
Fes, Desert, Kasbahs, Todra Gorge & Marrakech
Colourful dunes and natural rock landscapes of the Sahara